<VV> 30 year old gas tank pictures (Not for the faint of heart)

Macdonald David dmacd_us@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:37:46 -0700 (PDT)

I took the gas tank out this week.

I knew there was gas in there because of the
overpowering bad gas smell from the filler and I could
hear it sloshing around. I knew there was real trouble
when I could not drain it through the gas line and 90
PSI applied to the line would not move any air back
into the tank. Attempting to siphon the tank from the
filler was fruitless as there were chunks of goo that
plugged the 5/16 gas hose several times. I ended up
pulling the tank out gas and all.

Group Red photo here with the tank resting on the
jack-stand you can see in the centre (Canadian car,
Canadian Spelling).

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmacdon/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Group_Red.jpg

After getting the tank out, I pulled the sender and
here's what it looked like:

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmacdon/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tank_sender.jpg

The little box with the rheostat in it is completely
filled with goo.

The float has missing bits of brass where it's
completed corroded away, but the goo makes it look
like it's still intact:

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmacdon/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Float.jpg

I poured about 4 gallons of gas and crud out of the
tank.
I let it bake in the sun for a few hours and another
shovel full of loose rust/crud poured out without any
effort.

My choices are to just walk away from this whole mess
and install the ultimate kit from Clark's or try to
salvage what I can. Being extremely cheap means I'll
spend some time this weekend on the salvage effort.

David
'65 Corsa 140

My goal of making it to the Clark's show in September
is becoming more elusive.

I decided to just put a stock stabilizer bar back on.
Got one from corvair ranch, bushings from Clark's.

Dash paint project remains stalled because of lack of
effort on my part.