<VV> Any tips for electric fuel pump

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:52:11 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/04 2:25:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, anil@anil.com
writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any downside of not having the
> oil pressure switch in place? What happens if you turn the key on and
> don't start the car for some time? Will it flood etc? Thank you.

 Anil,
       Yes, there is DEFINITELY a downside.  If the pump is energized every
moment the ignition is on, then it can flood the engine if the carbs cannot
hold the pump pressure when the engine is stopped.  Imagine driving along, coming
to a stop and having the engine stall.  With the ignition on, the pump keeps
trying to pump gas into the carbs.  That's why most people using electric fuel
pumps wire them through an aftermarket oil pressure switch which will shut
off the pump once oil pressure disappears (stalled engine).  The wiring also
uses a bypass so that energizing the starter even without oil pressure will turn
on the pump to fill the carbs while the engine is cranking.  In addition to
these, I also use an impact switch (like most late model Fords use) which will
shut off the pump if the car is in an accident but still has the engine running
and the ignition switch on.  All these items are really necessary especially
in New Jersey since our gasoline is so much more flammable than that in other
states.  That must be why we are NOT allowed to pump our own gas but must only
permit a "trained technician" to do it.(:-)
       If you want to be able to prime the carbs BEFORE you try starting, you
can install a priming PUSHBUTTON (NOT a switch) on the dash that energizes
the pump directly while bypassing the above safeguards.
       Better safe than sorry.
       Regards,
       Frank "scared of gasoline fires" Burkhard