<VV> Rear Seal (or Front Seal) Whichever!!!

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:20:46 EDT

martincolvill@peoplepc.com writes:
Anyway, my 1966 Corsa 140hp (aka "Baby") is leaking like a sieve between the
engine and the transmission. I read the Corvair leaks book and am wondering
what there is to fixing it. How hard is it to replace the rear (front?) seal and
what all is involved. Any help/comments/obituaries would be greatly
appreciated.

Martin,
First determine if the oil is from the engine or transaxle.  In either case
the engine will have to come out.  If it's transaxle oil the fix is easy.  Just
replace the input shaft seal inside the throw out bearing shaft.  If it's
engine oil the fix is a bit more involved.  You will need to remove the oil pan,
flywheel, and bell housing.  Then replace the front main seal from the engine
side of the bell housing.  Then replace the bell housing and gasket and the
oil pan and gasket.  Reinstall the engine and with any luck at all the leak will
be fixed.  However before pulling the engine check the rocker covers and push
rod tubes to eliminate them as the leak source.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA