<VV> RE: 30 year old gas tank mud/should've been a Buick

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:29:22 -0700

At 10:40 hours 07/24/2004 -0400, LonzoVair@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 7/23/2004 3:12:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>mopar@jbcs2.net writes:
>Inside the gas tank I found about an inch os mud along the
>bottom, as well as at least a dozen valve stem caps and several small
>driveway stones??????????

This means small children had unrestricted access to the car...  they love
to dump anything handy down any opening.

>Thats funny... kinda reminds me of my childhood... I grew up on a farm,
had a
>gravel road, and the old car that Dad had at the time was "Wom-wom"... a
1949
>Buick Roadmaster. It got the name "Wom-wom" from the sound the starter
>made... anyway, those of you familiar with late 40s and early 50s Buicks
know about
>the "port holes" on the hood or fenders... I used to take small rocks and
>place them inside one of the four fender holes on the Buick and listen to
the
>"BBBBBBBBBBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb........ PLINK!" sound it
would make
>travelling down the tube and hitting the road again....

Heh!    Been a while...    and I recall the noise those old Buick
straight-8s made when cranking.    We had a dark metallic jade green woody
wagon w/straight-8 and the portholes on the hood, great old car, sounded
like a cross between a Hummm and a Vrooom when you kicked the throttle.
It was a big heavy bitch that rode like an ocean liner and was always
dependable, started with nary a complaint summer or winter.   At a car show
last fall I saw a restored example that could well have been the same exact
car, looked great, fresh chrome and bright woodwork up and down the
sides...  Chrysler Town & Country, eat your heart out... I took photos.

I'd ride one of those old Buick straight-8s just for the sounds they made.

tony..