<VV> newbie follow-up 64 monza convert.

John Headley robedinpurple@yahoo.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:10:14 -0700 (PDT)

I wanted to say thanks for all the replies I got on my
newbie questions.  I don't have time to individually
respond to them right now, as I have to leave on
business for a bit.

Here's what I figured out and what still needs
answering:
-My fluid appears to be from the convertible top
cylinders.  There was some of it under the rear seat.
A helpful tip was given to get that seat out of there
before it got ruined.  Looks ok - thanks!
-The missing trim was identified and several people
gave me Clark's numbers for it.  I ordered some of it
right away to get the car weatherproof.
-The ignition key behavior is normal, and I do not
have a proper key for it, so there is no way to put it
into the lock position.  I also don't have a door key.
 I ordered new door locks and ignition (matching) from
Clark's.
-The knock did not go away.  I changed the oil and
filter, and no difference.  I called Ken Hand, as many
of you suggested.  He suggested letting it run for a
half hour or so to see if it was a lifter that would
pump up.  After about 10 minutes, the car stalled and
will not start anymore.  (Cranks, fires, then dies).
This seems very bad to me.  It also seems suspicious
to have happen the day after you buy a car.  Will have
to dig out the compression tester and check some other
items when I get back.  I have a feeling this car is
about to get a lot more expensive than it looked.

As many have also suggested, I have already joined the
DACC.  Maybe some of you DACC members have ideas, or
even an engine stashed away?  I don't want to get
ahead of myself, but this doesn't look good to me.

-John Headley
64 monza convert that won't run
Royal Oak, MI