<VV> Brake line leaks

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:31:51 -0400

I don't know how damaged your fitting may be, but Clarks used to sell cone
shaped copper gaskets that would fit inside the fittings.  The copper,
being fairly soft, would act as a gasket.  I didn't find them in Clark's'
current catalog so they probably discontinued them -- you might give them a
call and see.

A good source for used parts would either be the Corvair Ranch outside of
Gettysburg or Southwest Corvair in Phoenix -- both are listed in the
Communique or on the Corsa web site.

Keep in mind, the seal is formed between the steel flare and the internal
cone section of the brass fitting.  The nut only acts to compress that
junctions.  Before you try to install a steel line on a brass fitting you
should inspect both to make sure there are no obvious problems such as a
crack in the steel line's double flare and then you should "wring" the
connection.  That is, insert the steel line into the brass fitting without
the nut (or just a turn on the nut to line things up).  Twist the steel
line a couple of turns while applying moderate pressure.  This will tend to
smooth out any burrs or nicks in the fitting and make for a better
seal.  Only then use the nut to compress the connection.

Works for me, anyway.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair.