Subject: <VV> starter spacing

Frank DuVal corvairduval@cox.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:08:12 -0400

snip

One question concerning the engine bench testing,can anybody out there tell me if the starter gear should be engaged in the flywheel slightly before starting or should I have a gap and then the Bendix spring kicks the gear towards the flywheel?Thanks.
unsnip

Yes, there should be clearance between the bendix teeth and the flywheel teeth, otherwise   the starter would turn while the engine was running. A very noisy situation and death to the starter assembly. As stated earlier wheel nuts have about the right thickness, or you could make a jig out of plywood. This would be easier for most peolple than cutting off a differential ear. Of course if the differential is out of the car, or you have an extra diff,  just bolt it up.

Frank DuVal
64 Spyder Conv. needs  Help!