<VV> re drill drums

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:11:28 -0700

At 11:48 hours 07/27/2004 -0400, Brad K Alley wrote:
>hi new to board so if sending to wrong location, as i have done please advise
>correct.
>2. advise re cost/ agivation of redrilling drums/axles to take porsche/fuch
>14x5.5 regards brad

I've not done it but it doesn't look like it would be too difficult.   The
Porsche studs are a little larger (14mm vs 1/2") than the GM studs and the
bolt pattern is fairly close but questionable as to whether you could drill
the holes out to the 130mm spaced 14mm Porsche stud size and take up the
space so as to make the Fuch wheels fit... found this out while comparing a
set of Fuch wheels to late Vair wheels.   A competent machine shop would
likely be able to drill the hubs/axle flanges and drums for the Porsche
studs simply by drilling through the existing holes for the GM studs and
enlarging them to accept the Porsche studs while correcting for the slight
difference in the pattern size... along with some welding to fill the inner
section of the hole to fill the leftover space.    Drilling 5 new 14mm
holes in the flanges and drums might take up more room between the existing
stud holes than would be acceptable.

Far as I can tell, there's almost 10mm total difference in the size of the
Porsche pattern and the Vair GM pattern.   Or, the Porsche pattern is
almost 5mm farther out from the hub center than the GM pattern.   That
*might* be just close enough to take up the majority of the space left over
when drilling through the existing GM stud holes to mount the larger
Porsche studs...?    Of course, a purist would wanna weld up the bit of
leftover "inside" space to make it clean.    I've not done anything like
this myself but it looks do'able to me without any welding.

Anyone else with comments about this?

tony..