<VV> Re: Bread to Remove Bushing (Sad Humor)

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:17:05 -0400

Smitty says:  Hope some of you find this as funny as I did.  A while back
we were having a club "hands on" tech session on rebuilding starters and
generators.  One of the generators had a bad end cap bushing so I being
one of the instructors decided to use the bread method to get it out.
Industriously packed the bushing full of bread and since the armature
weighs a lot more than the end cap elected to drive the end cap onto the
armature shaft.  Put a block of wood on the end of the cap to protect it
and gave it a healthy whack with a big hammer.  The shaft went into the
bushing easily and no bread squirted out?????????  Re packed the cap and
repeated the process.  Same result.????  I was packing the cap for one
last try when one of the guys said" hey lookie here, this shaft is
hollow.    ggg