<VV> dream engine...

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:25:49 -0700

At 08:07 hours 07/27/2004 -0400, Wrsssatty@aol.com wrote:
>I, too, vote for the SOHC engine but with EFI, not the 6 carbs (yikes!).

Actually it only had two carbs but they each had three venturis.    They
were similar to the current crop of Weber triplethroat carbs but with the
venturis spaced wider apart so as to position each venturi directly over an
intake port.

>And, I think it still had cast iron cylinder sleeves.

Yep, although they were a special thinwall single casting with the three
cylinders in each bank so as to make the engine more rigid.

>Wouldn't today's
>metallurgy allow for a lighter,  all aluminum alloy engine?

The cast iron cylinder banks were about the only iron in the engine outside
of the obvious like rods and crankshaft and valves etc.   Maybe a high tech
alloy casting with sleeves would be workable although in practice it
wouldn't likely save much weight or be any stronger, and the General would
likely save a dime per engine by casting the bank in iron...

But that the Hell, this is no holds barred.    Aluminum with iron sleeves
it is.    And if I had my druthers I'd maybe enclose the cam drives and use
a roller chain rather than the gilmer belts...  just in case.    If the
F.I. was done well there's no reason not to use it although I'm nostalgic
and those carbs look so trick sitting on the heads.

tony..