<VV> LM Suspension / Engine / Trans/ brake questions - LONG

John Sconiers jsconiers@mac.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:54:18 -0500

HI guys!

Thanks to Norm Witte I was able to purchase a well kept 65 corvair
monza vert.  My first idea before getting the car home was to make it
into a corsa clone.  Basically dropping the turbo engine(rebuilt with
goodies), manual trans, dash, etc into the vehicle.  After getting the
car home and going over it I really liked the way the car looked and
how nice it was.  So now I have a few questions:

Suspension:  The suspension is a stock with quick steering arms.  After
getting the vehicle in the air I was able to see that I needed some
front suspension work.  I need to replace the center link, passenger
side idler arm, sway bar bushings, and sway bar links.  I would also
think about doing the shocks / springs.  My question is this:  Are
there any specific brands of those items that work the best or give
good performance?  Also has anybody replaced their setup with an airbag
system for improved ride?  If so what brands, how was the installation
and what is their impression?

Brakes:  I'm going to have to also replace all of the wheel cylanders,
front and rear shoes, and brake hardware.  Doesn't have to be done ASAP
but it needs to be done.  Plus I was also going to do the dual master
cylander conversion.  I was already thinking of going disc brakes all
around so I don't want to spend the cash on the old brakes if I'm
replacing them anyway.  What are your thoughts on front and rear disc
brakes?

Engine:  The engine in the corvair is a stock 110.  I would still like
to replace this with a 180 mainly for more get up and go and because I
have already purchased a 180.  I was going to rebuild with a set of 140
heads, new ot30 cam, KB pistons, inter cooler, oil cooler, large valve
covers and oil pickup, DIS, and FI.  After hearing a post this weekend
about "needing extra umph" I was wondering what are some mid / high
performance setups that have been proven to work well with the 180?
Mostly looking for combinations or things to look out for.

Trans:  Has anybody ever replaced the 2 speed power glide with a
completely different automatic trans?  As of right now I'm thinking of
replacing with a four speed manual but I was wondering if there are any
conversions that would allow me to keep an automatic but mate better
with the 180.

Has any body tried the billet stuff from american-pi.com?

JOHN