<VV> Emergency Car Care Kit (LONG)

Derek Archer eggman@owt.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:42:04 -0700

I have been into the corvairs for the last 4 years and have appreciated
how reliable they can be but also dreading the question "what if I need
parts and I am out in the middle of nowhere?" To this end, me and our
corvair "master" mechanic in the club have been working to build me a
car care kit that would get me home if I needed to. First is a
pregapped point plate in case the old one fails. Just pop in and go.
Second is a basic tool kit for doing all of this stuff. Next is a used
coil to distributor wire and the longest spark plug wire in a set.
These can and do fail and if one of the plug wires catastrophically
fails, just put in the long one, tie it down someway and go. Next is
two fan belts (mainly since the proper size is very hard to find). Next
is a used fuel pump that I have. The reason I have it is that it
appears to be leaking VERY VERY slowly out the "rear vent hole" which
is a tiny hole on the back of the pump (the side that faces the rear of
the car when installed), but it works. I would have this in my kit
because one of the guys in our club went down to the national
convention in flagstaff last year or the year before, i can't remember
which and the diaphragm faild and fuel started shooting out the top
vent hole 50 miles from anywhere, but he was smart and had that extra
pump and using some flare nut wrenches and teflon tape for a temporary
fix, he got to flagstaff. (NEVER use teflon tape on gas lines except as
a temporary fix as mentioned above. It likes to shred and plug up fuel
fliters and carbs.) To that end, I would also include proper thread
sealants. I believe that this kit would be able to get you and your
beloved corvair out of most situations short of catastrophic driveline
failure. Any other suggestions or comments?