<VV> Pinion Gears

Mike Stillwell yenko117@yahoo.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:15:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Cepak, Tom A" <tom.a.cepak@lmco.com> wrote:
Those of you that have
> installed more aggressive engines, have you run into
> transaxle problems?
> Is it worth the extra money to upgrade the pinions
> from 2 gears to 4?
> I've purchase a 110 engine in which I'm going to
> rebuild to a 140 and I
> haven't even thought about the transaxle.  Should I
> be concerned?

 Tom, My opinion, is that much of the need depends on
driving style and end use of the vehicle. An autocross
car or a drag car is going place a much greater demand
on the spider gears. My 140 in the blue Stinger puts
out an estimated 200 hp. I run a 2 spider rear because
the car is set up as a road racer and the rear doesn't
get the shock loads of extreme acceleration from stop.
I also never dump the clutch or try to do burn-outs. I
don't baby it, but I respect it. While it wouldn't
hurt to have a 4 spider rear, I don't think it's
always needed.
 From what I understand the biggest impetus for the
development of the 4 spider, was the use of Corvair
transaxles behind V-8's.
 I probably will put one in eventually so I can
autocross with a little more confidence, but for my
140 street cars, I don't worry about it.

 See ya - Mike
          YS-117

 PS- if you run a PG, it's also probably less of a
concern as well.