<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #835 - 12 msgs

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:24:25 +0000

> Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:57:29 -0500
> From: "Cepak, Tom A"
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: Pinion Gears
>
> I read the 1965-66 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa Turbo Buyer's Guide article
> in the August issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines and I have some
> questions. Larry Claypool states, "The transaxle's weakest links are
> the spider (pinion) gears" and "They were perfectly adequate for the
> stock power and tires, but if you give the car more grip and load the
> transmission, you can run into problems." Those of you that have
> installed more aggressive engines, have you run into transaxle problems?
> Is it worth the extra money to upgrade the pinions from 2 gears to 4?
> I've purchase a 110 engine in which I'm going to rebuild to a 140 and I
> haven't even thought about the transaxle. Should I be concerned?
The battery went in my 63 spyder. At the time I was going to a school with a parking garage with a lovely sytem of ramps so I could roll back and then backwards down hill and jump start it.  After a few weeks of reverse jumps I blew out  the thin side cover.  I don't recall if the if the pinions were involved, but I kind of recall buying a lot of replacement posi parts. Sure wish I'd just bought a battery