<VV> Dream engine and ceramic coatings

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:41:44 -0700

WARNING: The sender's mail server or IP Address is blacklisted by http://www.dsbl.org/ . Please notify sender's ISP.
At 11:12 hours 07/28/2004 -0400, Dave Leonard wrote:
>I'm also very curious if anyone has experience with these ceramic coatings.
>I was really impressed with them on a friends Mini Cooper S 1275 some years
>back.  It really helped!  I don't recall hearing much about it on anyone's
>vair engine however.

I brought up this subject a long time ago, got some positive comments about
it but heard little about anyone's having tried it with a Vair engine.

If *any* engine could benefit from ceramic coatings on combustion chambers
and/or pistons it's a Corvair  engine, which has marginal head cooling at
best, for anything resembling performance applications.   Heat that stays
in the chamber doing work until it leaves via the exhaust is heat that
doesn't soak into the heads and radiate away as wasted energy which did
little other than heat up the oil and boil gasoline out of the carbs.

Ceramic coatings have been successfully used in race engines for years.

Maybe it's a money thing... I'm not up on how much it costs to ceramic-coat
a head chamber or a piston crown.. and maybe the heads of the valves while
we're at it if the coating could be made to stick... anything to keep heat
in the chamber and out of the surrounding metal.    I bet it would do
worlds of good for a tweaked turbocharged Vair engine.

tony..