<VV> Corvair didn't make money?

kaczmarek@charter.net kaczmarek@charter.net
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:33:26 +0000

ALL
Since Joe and I agree so rarely on non-corvair issues, I have to join him on this Corvair one.

The VEGA ran to I believe 1975 or 76. I bought a 75 Vega. I think the run of the SH*Tette started with the Chevette Scooter in 1976, and 1984 I believe was the last year
(8, but not 10)

The Sprint and Spectrum showed up in 85, but Spectrum was gone by 1989, and the Sprint gone by 91

The Metro began its run in 1991,(really a continuation of the Sprint with a different name (GEO) and basically the same platform. There still are listings for 2001, but few were to be found, and the only reason it ran that long was the engine/transaxle platform fit other GEO cars. The 3 cyl was only used (I believe) until the late 90's. Give it 10 years, but sales were never hot like the Corvair was in say, 1965.

The Citation was another disaster of a Corvair replacement, and it ran I believe only 5 years. A bigger piece of junk is hard to find, unless you've owned a VEGA for more than 30K miles. One of my teachers had a cracked block at less than 50 miles on the meter.

The Fiero is another favorite of many Corvair Folks, but it didn't run long either.

It is a safe bet that Ed Cole kept the line running just to spite the government, luckily for the LM fans.

Regards
HANK

SNIPPEROO