<VV> Corvair didn't make money?

Joel McGregor joelsplace@earthling.net
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:58:58 -0500

I remember reading a few years ago in a Corvair book that GM lost $5 per
vehicle over the 10 years.  I had a detailed explanation of production costs
vs other vehicles etc.  Of course I don't remember what the name of the book
was.

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier 4spd
'63 Greenbrier 8dr 4spd "Bob"
'63 900 Convertible 4spd
'67 Monza 4spd Posi
15 others

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:22 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> Corvair didn't make money?

Even if GM published profitability/loss figures for the Corvair (I very much
doubt they ever did), I think we can conclude pretty confidently that the
financial outlook for the Corvair, after a number of quite successful years
prior to 1966, became poor in GM's judgement, which led to their
discontinuing it. Obviously, at the low production levels of the last couple
of years, the Corvair CANNOT have been profitable.
     It's widely believed among Corvair historians that the last two or
three model years of the Corvair's run were done for "propaganda" purposes
(to offset Nader's criticisms). If we trim two years off the Corvair's ten
model years, then we are left with eight. There's no hard-and-fast rule
about these things, but I'm inclined to think of an eight-model-year run as
at least somewhat successful.
     This is almost a philosophical question, not a "simple" financial or
technological one.

Joe Potts (CPA)
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

Ron,
You may be correct about the Corvair, but how do you know that, and what
proof do you have? To my knowledge, GM/Chevrolet never released any profit
data
concerning the Corvair. Please back up your statement.
Regards,
Bob Helt