<VV> Replacement part quality

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:30:41 -0700

I am not in the replacement parts business but I have fooled with cars for
a very long time and purchased from most of the major vendors.

Things have changed a lot since our Corvairs were made.  For example, my
owners manual says to change oil every 1,000 miles!!!  "GM didn't do things
that were unnecessary" --> mostly true, but they were considering the
technology in 1962 (the 1,000 mile interval reflects on oil technology of
the time).  I bet nobody changes oil that often on their vair now using
modern oils.

Metal technology has also changed a lot.  Perhaps stronger metals are
available for reasonable prices and thinner works fine.  Or perhaps GM
designed it to last 10 years and the replacement lasts only 5 years ... but
is cost effective.  Most vairs now drive few miles and there is no need for
super-strong engineering.  There are separate consideration for cars that
drive a few thousand miles a year versus 30,000 (yes, some vairs are driven
that much, but I wager they are a minority).  Same engineering as 1962 is
not always the best.

Clark's states specifically differences in metal technology on many of
their items (badges are made with softer metal for reasons they explain,
and headlight bezels thicker for reasons they explain).  Most vendors
disclose differences from original (I do find Clarks to be very thorough in
this area).

My point is that each vendor has to make a choice -- what is a reasonable
price-point, how will it be used, how does using modern material affect the
design, what they believe is the "best" compromise, etc.  If they disclose
this (most do) and if each vendor is different (they are) then we get a
CHOICE which is good.
One thing I can assure you -- if there was a hot market for the thicker
bracket, someone would be making it!

As an aside ... I had a nice NOS muffler bracket on my Spyder.  One day it
broke and on the way off smashed my NOS rear grill and re-arranged the
bodywork.  Ughhh!  (at the time I had more choice words). I replaced it
with Clarks ... which they disclose it is not exact, but it has held up
longer than my NOS one ... perhaps the new design is better, it certainly
is adequate.  Since I am anal I bought another NOS bracket that sits in my
parts bins in case I need it to be concours again some day.