<VV> Baldwin Oil Filters

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:37:29 -0500

Saw the page.  Brings some questions to mind.

#1  What is a GMC5575425 filter?  They are saying that the B4 replaces PF4
AND GMC5575425.  Is this possibly an industrial filter of some sort which
would be fine for Corvair?  Where at and how much?  Anyone know?  I had
heard rumor (founded or unfunded, don't know) that there is a fork lift
which uses the PF4.  Could that be the GMC...?

#2  Is it the outer - U shaped gasket that is of concern?  Did you know that
some PF4s (back in history) came with a paper gasket for the outer seal?
Could the U gasket be removed and the old style paper one be used in its
place?

#3  Is it the inner gasket that is of concern?  How about moving the inner
gasket from the PF4 you just removed from the car to the new filter?  I saw
a comment (from Warren I think) about the inner gasket not making a proper
seal.  Would this approach solve that problem?

Just thinking out loud (sort of).  I hope to stir some thoughts on this and
maybe the problem can be solved.

For the moment, I'm OK - just got 6 NAPA Golds.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140