<VV> Replacement part quality

Frank DuVal corvairduval@cox.net
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:40:56 -0400

snip

Part of the problem -- there are plenty of cheap, available Corvairs in
junk yards with perfect sheet metal for no dollars.

 California Corvair Parts parts out a lot of rust-free Corvairs and
seems to throw away a lot of usable sheet metal.
Nobody wants it.

unsnip

Spoken like a west coast Corvair owner. Here in the east we have no rust free Corvairs in junk yards ( mostly we have no Corvairs in any junk yards ) from which to salvage good sheet metal. Shipping costs are on the top of our minds when we hear about just buying a rust free parts car for cheap like your Spyder coup example. Most car transport companies want a running car to transport. Can you palletize and ship a parts car across the country for a reasonable ammount? A new quarter panel does not weigh much. A used quater of a car must be paletized, and then may be hard to unload by a single person due to weight. Same with shipping weight on a door skin vs. a door assembly. Are there any west coast vendors reading this that have experience with the costs of shipping parts cars and assemblies to the east coast? I would love to see the facts. Every car I own has some rust in it.

Frank DuVal
64 Spyder Conv
65 Monza Convs