<VV> Replacement part quality

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:47:32 -0700

At 06:32 hours 07/29/2004 -0500, Dennis & Debbie Pleau wrote:
>Thanks Bill, now you've gone and told our vendors they can stay in business
>even if they provide bad customer service and raise their prices.  Just
>kidding, we are blessed to have a great bunch of vendors.  The competition
>keeps the price down.  I personally know most of them and they are all
>great people!
>
>Dennis

I've not had any real problems with parts availability or the prices in
general.   It's a sellers market... if you want it, you can buy it.   The
stuff is out there.

Hell, at Lexington I turned up a NOS *in the box* rubber floor mat for an
early sedan.    Soft, pliable as a wet rag, beautiful piece and a smoking
deal (Hell, I'd never even *Seen* an NOS rubber mat)... ended up reselling
it to another guy (for what he offered me in the first sentence out of his
mouth) who wanted it bad to install in his '60 700 restoration project...
and all it would have done with me was go into my daily driver '60.     But
I digress...

It appears to me that the fellow who withheld his name is not happy with
the fact that restoration of a Corvair isn't easy...  just because it's not
as expensive as restoring a Charger or a Mustang or a 442 doesn't mean it's
gonna be easier to do a Corvair.    Restoring a Corvair is NOT anything
close to being easy and anybody who complains because of such has little
room to bitch about it IMHO.    Hell, it's not all that easy to just
*maintain* a decent driver-class Corvair in good roadworthy condition these
days, and restoration is much more involved.

If you want a perfect car, expect to suffer.    It's a sellers market, so
suffering is a part of the game.    Sure I'll bitch about things but I
never forget to sign my comments here or elsewhere.

tony..