<VV> Re: Emerg Brake Handle

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:17:23 -0400

> Subject: <VV> prkg. brake rls. handle
>
> < I wonder what inspired Chevrolet to endow the
> Corvair with such an . . . individualistic parking brake. Why not
> the other Chevys?>
Smitty says:  If you will remember the Corvair was designed with an
automatic transmission only.  In addition it had no park position.  I
believe that was the reason for the early 60s being produced with a "jack
up" hand brake where you push and pull till it couldn't get any tighter.
A "T" handle didn't lend its self well to that kind of mechanism (though
some cars had foot operated brakes that worked that way).  It's possible
that they found the "jack up" feature to be unnecessary and just kept the
handle that was already designed into the car.