<VV> Ceramic Engine Coatings

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:42:09 EDT

Hi All,

With the recent talk about heat shielding with ceramic coatings, I have a
some questions that have popped into my alleged mind.

I understand that insulating the exhaust system from the head to the turbo
will result in higher velocity gases into the exhaust housing of the turbo.  It
also results in higher temps.  Will the higher temps result in premature
deterioration of the turbine wheel or other components in the turbo?  Is it
feasible to coat the turbine wheel?  I assume that the turbine wheel would need to be
rebalanced.  Will the hotter exhaust gases damage the exhaust system after it
exits the exhaust housing?

If you coat the top of the piston and the combustion chamber of the head,
will the elevated heat of the exhaust gases out the exhaust port cause premature
failure of the exhaust valve or even the valve guide?  Is it feasible to coat
the valve other than where it contacts the seat and the valve guide?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop