Again on Re: <VV> Re:95 heads on turbo.

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:54:24 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/04 8:35:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, N2VZD@aol.com
writes:
my only input on this is i had more than one set of 95 heads here at one time
that looked exactly like turbo heads(no step). if he is talking about using
those on a turbo i would think it would be aok?i cant find the info right now
but i think it is well laid out in one of the tech guides in chart form. how
about smog 110 heads? they should be ok also...cc them and see?  only
thinking
out loud here...regards tim colson
now going into hiding fer a while
Tim,
    Yes, I do believe that in the later years, the 95 heads did go open
chambered.  In my previous post I was thinking of the earlier 95 hp heads (still
LMs)  that had the step (quench/squish area).  Check Bob Helt's invaluable
Classic Corvair book for all the details, which he covers very well, including how
to make sure you have the optimum "quench"..  But even the later 95s still
don't have the alloy exhaust valve guides.  You might get away with not using
those if you don't stay on high boost for more than a few seconds at a time.
    But just remember to let the turbo cool down (without shutting off the
engine) for a few minutes after a good run.  If you shut down the engine too
soon, the oil stops flowing through the turbo bearing and there is NO water
cooling to take the heat load so it goes into decomposing the oil and will
eventually block up the oil flow passages in the bearing.  And with NO oil flowing
through the bearing, guess how long the turbo wheels and shaft will last???
    Frank Burkhard