<VV> Re: Another Take on Low Mileage - minimal Corvair

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:29:10 -0400

I agree completely with both Matt and Grant.

I'll go one further... my recommendation on how to buy a car (any car):

1. Buy the best one you can afford. A restored car is always cheaper than restoring it yourself.

2. Buy a car being used like you intend to use it. If you want a daily driver (or weekend driver),then buying a driver (even a high mileage driver) is
always a better idea than buying a trailer queen. Not only do you pay more for a trailer queen, it likely will not be a reliable driver... and that can cost
you more in the long run.

3. Buy a car in a condition you can live with... or budget the money to IMMEDIATELY set it right. This is true of show cars or drivers. If you are buying
a show car... and are not happy with the quality of the paint (as an example), then the better buy is buying a car with the level of paint that you are
ahappy with....next best buy is one that NEEDS paint. WORST deal is paying for a nice car/nice paint... and then painting it anyway.

If you are buying a driver, you're better off buying one that's actually being driven and has cosmetics good enough for your purposes.

The absolute WORST Corvairs I have dealt with have been low mileage (very) lates models... I think it was a combination of the late ('68-69) builds
and the low mileage... the best Corvairs I've owned have been drivers... many high mielage drivers.

Once you get into other marques, then service history (and mileage) means a lot more than it does with a Corvair.

Now, if I can only learn to live by these rules.... (VBG)

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD