<VV> Reference - Fast-er Steering - Smitty's note

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:14:41 EDT

Reference the change in ratio of the Aftermarket Steering box from Flaming
River

The new quick Steering box from Flaming river duplicates the steering ratio
of the 1966-69 quick steering Corvair box. It is a heavier duty piece, with
ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings, etc. If you have an original slow
steering box, long armed, Corvair, replacing the box will provide a faster ratio at
the box, and at the wheel. An integral part of the factory installation was
the use of shorter forged steering arms. Either the factory fast (or Flaming
River fast) box or the faster factory arms are a good addition/replacement for a
stock, slow steering Corvair.neither was offered as a separate option from
Chevrolet.
To gain the full benefit of the original design, you would have to use both
the factory shorter arms (or modified long arms to duplicate the shorter
factory arms). If you are installing the quick Flaming River box on a race car, you
may also want to use the
aftermarket short arms, such as the IECO or Clark, along with the fast box.
When you are racing, either track racing or autocross, the adrenaline will be
flowing and the high steering effort won't really matter.  I believe the
steering effort with any kind of sticky tire, would be excessive for a street car. I
would not go faster than the stock fast ratio - But that is just my opinion.
- Seth Emerson