<VV> Re: Battery Tender Problems (Now transformer and diode)

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:32:54 EDT

Hello all,

Your typical transformer will take 120 VAC input and output a different
voltage level AC.  The operative part is "AC."  An AC current of any voltage will
not charge your DC battery.  It will tend to heat the battery and ultimately
discharge it.  In effect, the diode (or rectifier) is a one way current valve
that will only permit half the AC current to pass through.  This will give you a
very rough DC current which is not optimal.  The wave form will rise from
zero to the maximum amplitude then return to zero and stay at zero for 50% of the
time until the wave form starts to rise again.  This will also create
heating.  The half sine wave can be buffered with a properly sized capacitor.  The
best circuit would be a rectifier bridge which uses four properly oriented
diodes which will eliminate the 50% off time.  You will also need the capacitor to
smooth out the sine wave somewhat.  Next, the transformer needs to be the
proper output.  An AC source fully rectified through the bridge and capacitor will
create a DC voltage level approximately 1.414 (square root of 2) times the AC
voltage.  In effect; 120 VAC through the circuit will give about 170 VDC.
You will need about 10 VAC from the transformer's secondary output to get 14
VDC.  A typical 12 VAC transformer gives you 17 VDC and a 24 VAC transformer
gives you 34 VDC, etc.  You can easily fry your battery and electrical/electronic
components in the car.  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  If you don't
know what you are doing, buy a commercial product that is engineered for your
use.  JMHO.
Doc