<VV> Things I Learned from My Last Engine Drop

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:34:30 -0400 (EDT)

This is a '63 4-spd.

1. To drive the input shaft seal(s) home, the reduced (male) end of a top rail from a chain-link fence is the perfect diameter.  Certain sockets may work, but if they're a hair too small they'll deform the seal's metal and widen the seal ID.

2. When mating the transaxle and bell housing, for safety throw a rope over a rafter and tie the other end to the "loop" atop the bell housing.

3. Tighten the front-end mount bolts on the transmission first, then tighten the rear-mount nut.  This preserves rear-wheel toe-in.

4. After powertrain re-installation, re-adjust the clutch before driving.  The rear brakes must also be adjusted before driving, with the rear suspension at normal ride height (not with axles dangling).  Otherwise two of the rear shoes will wear out very fast.

5. When you buy your first Corvair, buy a suitable engine (ATV) jack.  You will be dropping the engine more than once.

Michael Smith
Dallas

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com