<VV> Carb jets

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:42:53 -0400

I haven't developed a positive preference for specific jets primary and
secondary, but if you just swapped your jets between each type of
carburetor, you'd have something MUCH closer to most of the recommendations
I've seen. 52 primary and 48 secondary are a popular configuration, too, I
believe. All this talk is for altitude range 0 - 3,000 feet. Above that,
(even above 500 feet), I have no experience.
     3/16-inch outside diameter copper tubing has been impossible for me to
find down at my neighborhood hardware store that some of us seem to prefer
so greatly to certain chain superstores. But as noted, 3/16-OD brake/fuel
tubing is easy to get, and it works just fine, I can confirm. I find using 4
inches per tube (32 inches overall) a bit better than the 3.5 inches in
Bob's book.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Norman C. Witte
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 9:14 AM
To: Virtual Vairs (E-mail)
Subject: <VV> Carb jets

This is a question for my '65 Corsa 140.  This car has a mild cam, stock
exhaust, .60 over pistons, and is otherwise pretty much stock.  I put a set
of rebuilt carbs on it last year but I still have some carburation issues.
The first problem is that I am not getting enough travel from my accelerator
linkage, and I know I have to solve this by adjusting the linkage at the
bell crank at the transaxle.  Because of this, my secondaries will only open
part way.  When the do open, the car bogs.  I think that the primaries have
49 jets, and the secondaries have 53 or so jets, so I know I have to do
something about that.

Questions:

1.  What jets does the group recommend for this car?

2.  While I have the carbs apart, I want to put in the little tubes that
keep it from cutting out in corners.  I don't have Bob Helt's book here at
the office but would like to stop at the local hobby shop and pick up some
tubing today.  What diameter and lengths do I need?