<VV> Fans on 66 type condenser (Fairly long)

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:48:16 -0400

I for one am not having much success with A/C on Corvairs using R134A.  I have
two cars that had the fans (On one I added with fans that I got from
Rusty...the other came with fans already installed).  The only way thus far
that I have had good success is by using R12.  I am now in the process of
building a unit with a large right rear well condenser (fan powered,
completely shrouded etc.) but I plan to use R12 that I have on hand, since I
for one cannot seem to get R134A to do the job.  I have changed out
compressors (switched to Sanden) replaced expansion valves etc. without much
luck.  I do know that either of the two types of condensers that General
Motors offered along with an A-6 compressor and R12 work real well.  (I also
feel that using either of the two types preheats the air being drawn into the
engine, and causes overheating).  Removal of the shrouds does help. My other
car, a 65 that I originally had the 66 type condenser on, using a Sanden
compressor and charged with R134A never worked well with or without the fans.
About all the fans do for you IMHO is allow you to run the system for charging
etc. without going through the taillight.  I have swapped out the condenser in
this car with a Danhard 21000 BTU condenser mounted in the right rear fender
well (fan powered) and things got even worse.  It cools fairly well (again
with R134A) with the trunk open.  It functions less well with the trunk
closed, and like crap running down the road.  At the suggestion of many, I am
just before moving the condenser to the front and give that a try.  Please
remember that I live in Florida where it is hot and muggy, and taxes any A/C
system. (along with Texas and many other southern states). Again IMHO, I feel
that some of the problems other than the condenser problems is that the
Evaporator was not designed to use R134A and may possibly be incompatible
using it. Also, all water pumpers mount the condenser in front of the radiator
where it receives maximum air flow, and water cooled cars designed for A/C
have a large enough cooling system to handle the heated air being generated by
the condenser. Newer cars, remember, that came with R134A was designed by
engineers to use it and work real well.

>From the above, it should be obvious that I sure as heck don't have the
answers, but I'm still trying.  Thanks for the bandwidth.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.

65 Monza Contv. Sanden Compressor Danhard condenser, all 'O' Ring fittings,
new expansion valve etc. no shrouds.
67 Monza Coupe. In process of changing to Sanden compressor, large shrouded
fan powered condenser, new expansion valve, new barrier hoses etc.  This car
ran real cool with the 66 condenser (w/fans) A-6 compressor and R-12.  Problem
was that it was in lousy shape and leaked R12 about as fast as I could add it.
It also had no shrouds.