<VV> A/C Condensers & Fans

Rusty Rose vairboy2001@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, you guys just make work for yourselves!<grin>
Actually, I should say you guys are just a lot smarter
than me to do the engineering on such a system.

When people ask me about "fender-well" condenser
installs, I tell them that you have to be smarter than
me to get that system to do all that it should do.
That's not to say it won't work (I think some have had
enough success to be happy with the few that are out
there?).  To be smarter than me isn't saying a lot
either!  There are just too many factors to deal with
for me, and I don't see the necessity of it all?

There are only two real things to look at when
designing an A/C system for a Corvair from the ground
up performance wise...

1. What is the Delta T (or difference) in the inlet
air temperature at the evaporator blower and the exit
vent air temperature   This is for A/C performance,
and...

2. What affect does the system have on the engine at
various loads?

If you can get 30-35 degrees Delta T over the
evaporator (like your modern car) and not have any
adverse affect on the engine (mainly head temp), then
you have just designed a good performing A/C system
for your car.

There are many many other variables as to what makes a
marketable A/C kit (how easy is it to install, how
much does it cost, how good does it look, what
refrigerant does it use, and on and on...), but in the
simplest form... How cold (air) and how hot
(engine)covers the performance side of things pretty
well.

The other problem we (car nuts) run into on A/C
systems are the perceptions, opinions, and "calibrated
hands" that we all have.  Some are dead on and you can
take them all the way to the bank... others are...
well, not as correct.  I'm not an expert on anything
and all I know about A/C is what I've learned the past
3 years.  There is every shade of gray in these
stories, and I want to avoid them all by presenting
valid test data that is wide open for all to see, and
to let them make up their own minds about what they
want for their cars.

I'll publish all the "stuff" on my website later this
month and hope that you engineer types will take the
time to take a look and offer suggestions on how we
can do even better.

And for those that don't care "how" it works and just
want a good R-134 system in their car for this summer,
see me in Lexington (or call me afterwords).

Rusty Rose
www.rustysonline.com