<VV> Mr. Poop Lives!!!

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:52:01 -0400

Mr. Poop is my "other" 1964 sedan, a factory A/C sedan that I bought about 5
years ago from Sarah Jenkins after she won it at a CORSA NC fall Affair.  I
had been driving the car until I acquired the Glen convertible 2 years ago,
and since then the "Poopster" has been sitting forlornley in the garage
waiting for me to get back to its restoration.  For those of you who don't
know, its name comes from the rather dis-"stink"-tive color of the paint job
(brown and yellow-beige).  I had stripped most of the paint off it before I
got busy with other things, so it is not really streetable, given all the
bare metal.  Also, I had, um, "borrowed" a few of the engine parts
(generator, etc) for the Glen car, so the engine hadn't even been started in
the past two years.

All of which brings us to the present - getting ready for the Lexington
show.  I have decided to drive Alice, my "nice" sedan, this year, so I
wanted to free her from her trailer home and put her in my garage this week.
Wanting to keep the convertible at home as well, that meant I needed to free
up the space that Mr. Poop is occupying.  So this afternoon I grabbed some
spare parts off the shelf and reassembled the Poopster's engine and, after
locating the long forgotten key, fired her up.  After a few cranks to refill
the carbs (with 2 year old gasoline!), she started and ran well for about a
minute before shutting down.  A look into the engine compartment showed that
the right carburetor was flooding.  Popping the top off the carburetor
revealed the reason -- the floats were "glued" to the bottom of the bowl by
old varnish.  Well, that was quickly fixed and the carb was put back
together and she is running once again.

Now all I have to do is wait for it to stop raining.....

Bill Hubbell