Re <VV> A/C Condensers & Fans

Rusty Rose vairboy2001@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:01:11 -0700 (PDT)

Comments below...

--------------------
From: "Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:09:23 -0400

Because that has already been done, and because there
really is no completely satisfactory location for the
condenser other than the engine compartment (always
compromises).  It would be interesting to see if a
method could be designed to keep the '66 style
condenser where it is and still keep cool air coming
to the engine.

Bill
--------------------

I'm sure you will find it interesting that under load
(65 MPH on 91-93 degree sun load day in Texas), the
Delta T (or difference) in air temps over our new
'66-67 repro condenser with R-134 is only 17 degrees
(average) with the A/C on as opposed to off (and half
that number on our new Early model system)!

That 17 degree number along with the added load of the
Sanden compressor only raised the cyl head temp and
average of 20 degrees at 65 MPH (about the same as
speeding up from 60 MPH to 70 MPH with no A/C at
all!).

It gets better... over half of the added cyl head temp
is added by the Sanden Compressor load and not the 17
degrees the condenser adds, so if the condenser was in
the trunk, it would only save you 8 or 9 degrees cyl
head temp in our test at 65 MPH (so why bother?).

That said, the Delta T over the condenser does get
worse as the fan turns lower RPMs as would be expected
(less air), but the head temps fall fast as load is
removed from the engine.  That means your car will
idle warmer with A/C on, but the overall cyl head temp
is way down as well.

All the while, our new evaporator is kicking out air
that is 34 degrees colder than what it is picking up
(at 65 MPH) at 3,250 per minute (on high).

R-134 can work just fine if it is in a system that was
designed to word with R-134.

=====
Rusty Rose
www.rustysonline.com