<VV> Another reason to keep your Corvair(s)

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:19:46 EDT

Another reason to keep your Corvair. I read a lot of Automotive stuff,
everything from Autoweek to Automotive Industries. A recent copy of Automotive
News had an editor picking up a new Chevy Colorado pickup for a mini-test. He
walked out to the parking lot with the key in hand. Since he was carrying his
work briefcase, he thought he would drop it on the passengers seat, then walk
around. He looked for the keyfob power door lock button, and noticed that,
since this was a base model truck, it didn't have power locks. No sweat, he went
 to open the door with the key. There was no lock - or rather, no key hole!
You  cannot unlock that door from the outside - at least with a key. Chevy must
have  saved a dollar on that one. He then walked around the lot and noticed
many of  the new cars were also missing the passenger side keyhole. Since about
70% of  new cars/trucks have the power locks, they felt we didn't need it!
Arrgh!

How about power doors? I was in A Cadillac dealer waiting for my wife's
orphan Oldsmobile Intrigue to be finished in the service dept. I saw a new
Cadillac XLR roadster sitting in the showroom, top down, just inviting me to sit  in
it. So I tried. There are no door handles. You reach around a small  insert
in the door and an electronic latch opens the door (a la 1955 shaved,  Kustom
Kars)  - sweet. But it didn't want to open for me. It was locked and  armed,
lights flashed when I tried. I asked a salesman, he reached over and  found the
same conclusion, (DUH!) He then got the key fob and unlocked the door  so I
could open it. I hopped in (gingerly - this is a $76,000 car.) After
"experiencing" the interior, (Nice), I reached for the door handle to get out.  No
latch, just a button that, when pushed, pops the soleniod and opens the door.  And
what about a dead battery solution? They hide a mechanical pull lever  down at
the carpet line. I guess that beats an ejection seat!  - Seth  Emerson (Not
ready to buy a car that costs twice as much as my first house! -  but if they
would let me take a test drive. . .  .)