<VV> Re: YH Questions

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:58:48 -0400

> From: Kerry and Jan <deaconone@teleweb.net>
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> YH question(s)
>
> Well another surprise from under hood of the 64 Turbo...YH carb is
> now leaking gas...Issue seems to be two fold, one the carb is leaking
> around the top carburater fuel filter nut. Second is that when idling
at a
 light engine will, at times, start to lose rpms and will miss when
taking off from the light, sounding like it's flooded. Can often
 smell gas too when this occurs..
Smitty says:  It would seem that some teflon tape around the pipe fitting
threads where it goes into the carb would be the answer but that stuff
has a nasty habit of getting into fuel lines and carbs where it doesn't
belong.  I think your best solution is a fitting (i don't know what they
are called) that is female pipe on one end and male pipe on the other
end.  The male end is longer than standard so it will screw into the
casting farther and tighter.  Then you can thread your normal fitting
into that.
        The loading up of a YH is commonly caused by perforations in the
rather delicate accel pump diaphgram.  I always change that first when a
previously well running carb starts loading up.  You can't disregard a
sinking float or a leaking float bowl inlet valve or that somebody has
disabled the return line.  I will be glad to help you in continued
troubleshooting in private posts as long as you are using a proper return
line and have no regulator installed.