<VV> Fuel pump noise

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:00:58 -0400

I think there's a good chance you didn't find the dimple in the mounting
cylinder that extends down from the fuel pump. The retainer/set screw at the
back of the pipe that receives this cylinder has a sharp point (you may not
have noticed if you did not fully remove it). You must "find" the dimple
with this sharp point, and center the dimple on the point (push pump down
and and let back up gently) as you tighten the set screw. If you don't do
this: (a) the whole pump assembly will move up and down, possibly clanking;
and (b) you will lose the relative motion inside the pump that provides the
actual pumping, leading to a breakdown.
     Don't overtighten the set screw. Just make it nice and snug, then
tighten down the nut that keeps it from turning. Again, pump the pump
assembly by hand to make sure it can't be moved.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Sam & Marissa
Andolino
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 5:26 AM
To: Virtualvairs
Subject: <VV> Fuel pump noise

Hi everyone
I put in a new fuel pump and spring in my turbo about 2 weeks ago and it
just started to make a clanking noise.  Took the car out last night for a
test run . Was working fine until I tried to go on a express way the car
stared to sputter then died.  There is a smell of gas now.  Can anyone tell
me what could be wrong?  I have another pump but would like to find out if
there could be something else wrong before I put another pump.  It is 600
miles to the convention for us and I don't want to break down again.
Thanks in advance
Sam and Marissa Andolino
66 Turbo