<VV> Carb inlet issue

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:31:10 -0400

You've got two ways to go on this, neither of which can be picked up on the
way home.
     The part (inlet nut) that stripped out on your secondary is common to
many Rochester carburetors of the Sixties, and the stripping out is, also.
For this reason, your local auto-parts store sells a replacement inlet nut
that has oversize threads that will cut into what is left of your carburetor
and hold pretty well, presumably. Is it for you? No. On my 66 140hp (whose
fuel plumbing is a bit different from your 65), this protrudes so much
farther from the carburetor that I can't put the plumbing back without
extensive modifications to it. BUT Clark's and likely other vendors sell a
version of this repair part that does not protrude so much, and I have found
it usable, particularly if I put one of those parts on the other carburetor
on that side at the same time. It comes with a copper seal that adds to the
protrusion, which makes no difference on two-carburetor engines.
     Now, here's the fix that lasts, and that I have ended up with for my
140: buy a junk secondary top (give him your carburetor's number) from Grant
Young or any other dealer in used Corvair parts. For a very reasonable
price, he'll promptly send you a replacement with fresh threads, cleaned up
and PAINTED. I believe Grant now also offers a new rubber inlet-nut seal
that is supposed to seal better at lower torque than the paper ones.
     That's Step 1. Step 2 is a Joe Potts special: ditch the paper (or
rubber, or copper) inlet-nut gaskets and replace them with aluminum ones.
Aluminum? Yes - did you know BMW makes Corvair parts? They make this one
(which also fits the drains on their transmissions and differentials). It's
their part #07-11-9-963-355, and they cost 16 cents each. These seals work
just great, and you don't have to strip out your carb threads anymore.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C