<VV> Autocross report

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 23:38:29 EDT

This past Sunday I participated in the first autocross with my new 205/50-15
Falken Azenias. What a difference the tires make!! My first run I was waiting
for the rear end to get loose. I was driving like I still had my street tires
on. The car never did get loose. I increased my speed on each run,
unfortunately as my speed increased my ability to hold the line decreased. I started the
season with a goal to hit a cone, as I hadn't. The last event I hit my first
cone and now I may be addicted. This time out I had only one clean run and my
best time included a cone. I'm going to take a step back and try to get control
over my positioning of the car.

I had the rear camber set to negative 2.5 degrees and nothing in the front.
The car was pretty neutral, not loose and not pushing. The only time the car
felt a little loose was when I got behind the line and tried to get back by over
steering. The difference was once the street tire lost traction, it was
difficult to get it back. The Falkens regained traction by easing off the wheel
just a little.

I have a couple of events before Fire and Ice to get familiar with the new
tires. Since I'm not able to make the trip to KY, F&I may be my only chance to
go up against other Corvairs this year.

Each time I started a run, the announcer said "my favorite blue Corvair," of
course I was the only Corvair. A picture of my car even made the June
newsletter of the Wichita SCCA.

I'm having more fun each time I go out, and can't wait to get my next fix of
orange rubber!

Ned