<VV> Plug Secondaries (140hp only)?

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 20:42:39 -0400

On Jun 9, 2004, at 8:09 PM, SPYDER62@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/9/2004 4:50:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> bwschug@charter.net writes:
> Performance will be smoother since you won't have that "spot" where the
> secondaries open. That "spot" is an identifying feature of 140
> performance. With fuel injection or anything else I'd miss that slight
> hesitation/bog/surge whatever it is.
>

> That spot on my 140 is right at cruse speed and makes it a bear to
> drive.
> Either have to slow down or plant the foot and drive through it, this
> is my first
> 140 in 35 years of driving vairs.

*SNIP*

I know exactly what you mean. Mine does that sometimes, depending on
how it's loaded. The simple solution to your problem is to change where
in the rpm range that spot is. This can be accomplished easily if you
use the  140 linkage that comes stock with springs that activate the
secondaries. Typically, you will have replaced those springs with a
solid piece of tubing - brake line or fuel line tubing; can't remember
what I used. Now, by simply changing the length of that tubing I think
you'll change when the secondaries come in. You probably want to cruise
on the primaries in which case you should change the length of that
tube so that the secondaries come in later, thus allowing you to cruise
on the primaries. I haven't done this, but I think it'll work.

Bruce

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC