<VV> Re: 65 vs 62 Turbo

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:12:56 -0400

Hi Eric.

	I do get boost in second.   Most likely, I'm compensating for
lag in timing and ignition.  I think you did hit the nail on the head
with displacement/turbine size, though

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of Eric S. Eberhard
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 1:38 PM
To: SPYDER62@aol.com; virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: <VV> Re: 65 vs 62 Turbo

Query ... do you find the 62 comes onto boost sooner (e.g. has less
lag).  I have had two 65s and now have a 62 and I find the 62 to have
much less lag.  I get some boost in 1st, more in 2nd, and maximum in 3rd
and 4th.  On my 65s, nothing till 3rd.  The 62 seems more tractable and
easier for daily driving and I really don't think it has any less
performance than the 65s (it does have the advantage of no smog at all).
It may be that the smaller engine is better matched to the turbine size
and exhaust size in the 62.  For the bigger engine they did not increase
exhaust size although for 65+ the turbo is different.  Curious if you
find the same.

At 05:09 PM 6/9/2004, SPYDER62@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/9/2004 4:50:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>bwschug@charter.net writes:
>Performance will be smoother since you won't have that "spot" where the

>secondaries open. That "spot" is an identifying feature of 140
>performance. With fuel injection or anything else I'd miss that slight
>hesitation/bog/surge whatever it is.
>

>That spot on my 140 is right at cruse speed and makes it a bear to
drive.
>Either have to slow down or plant the foot and drive through it, this
>is my first 140 in 35 years of driving vairs.
>  Give me a Turbo anytime, have 2 65's and a 62 right now and have had

>more in the past.
>  Back in the mid 60's we used to say only one in ten or more Turbos
>had a good blower on it, I drove some dogs before I found and bought my

>first one in 67.
>Rich
>www.shepswoodncrafts.com
>68 Datsun roadster
>8 Corvairs
>68 Ultra Van
>61 econoline PU
>87 Shelby GLHS
>  Blue Squadron group red

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a

message)
(720) 339-4765          Cell

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new pictures!
Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html