<VV> VDO Gauges

Delta Inc deltainc@grm.net
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:22:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <AeroNed@aol.com>

> I thought about the single CHT approach, but figured the vac gauge was
> useless on a 140, > Engineers LOVE instrumentation...
> Ned
*************
One neat use for a vac guage is that it might show if you have enough
carburetion ( air flow ) at high rpms ...  if the guage starts showing a
little more manifold "vacuum" ( low manifold pressure ) at high rpms that
may mean you could use more air ... bigger carbs .

Another guage picking up "vacuum" from just under the air filter can show
you when it's time to change the filter ... not such a small thing, as two
psi down drop from a dirty air filter ( or a new small cheap one ... ) means
just as much power lost as 2 psi boost from a turbo ... significant, also it
makes your engine run rich, wasting benzino and maybe washing bearings ....
there is a lot of dirt sucked up in a rear engine car ....
Another great thing(s) about vac guages are that they are relatively cheap,
easy to hook up, and are so cool, as they are constantly flipping back and
forth, making your cockpit look like a good racing movie ... important to
looking like a knowledgeable racing wrench.... (g).

Regards, Ken Campbell, Iowuh Center for Corvair Poverty Studies