<VV> My first concours education - short story

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:45:39 EDT

I'm in this for the fun. I learned that lesson way back when.  My first
concours experience was in Anaheim Ca.; roughly 1973.  I borrowed my friends 2500
mile, utterly immaculate '65 white/red Monza, which I then detailed to a high
degree.  Unfortunately, it had a goofy-glitter shifter knob and I unknowingly
placed the jack under the front bumper rather than in the trunk.  Even back
then, the judges had never seen engine insulation that was flawless and new and
it was down-rated it as a poor facimilie. (This car had the so-called
"desert-air" ductwork that prevented any dust from ever entering the engine
compartment, so the insulation was unnaturally "new".) The door panels were "too puffy"
according to the judge. (again, factory original, indoors since new).  I lost a
zillion points for the jack (could the judges have bothered to ask?) and then
there was that stupid shifter ball.  They gave the car 73 points.  The car
next to me was a wobbly POS with a spray-can engine and spray-can-
over-the-chips belt-line.  He did just move (drive) from Ohio to Ca. so he got a bunch of
mileage points.  He scored about 85 points, as I recall.  From that day forward
when I enter a show, I clean my car and just walk away and enjoy the show.  I
frequently  judge at shows, which gives me the opportunity to see many cars
up-close and talk with their owners.  Points? Trophys? Arguments? Who cares; I
just go for the fun!
Craig Nicol