<VV> TEMP/PRESS Light Coming On

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:23:30 EDT

Hi Tom,
Please see below for my thoughts.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 6/11/04 6:28:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
63vair4door@email.com writes:

> My daughter's been driving the '63 Sedan (102/PG) and she's been telling
> me that after a long uphill climb on the Interstate (65-70 MPH) the T/P
> light comes on. She's pulled over and turned the engine off to check the
> oil level. It's been above the add mark, so she gets back in and turns
> the engine on. The light goes off and stays off. The outside temp has not
> been the same the handful of times that this has happened, but it's
> always happened after a 10+ mile run on the interstate. I'm running 10W30
> oil with a new NAPA filter. Is the oil too light?

***Chances are that there is no problem with your oil or the oil pressure. if
this was a problem, the light would come on at a hot idle. Especially after
that occurance on the highway.

Also, the dip stick is > usually up a few inches after a run, so I'm thinking
> that the PCV needs replacement and those lines to the crankcase should be
> cleaned out. Could
> this cause the light to come on?

***No not at all. You may have a slight blowby problem, but I really doubt
that it has anything to do with the dash light coming on.

It's been a while since I adjusted the > point gap. Could a change in the
> dwell cause an overheating condition?

***Well yes, point wear will affect the timing, but again this is unlikely to
be the problem. Check the timing just to be sure.

> Anything else to check?

***It definitely sounds like a momentary overheat condition. In my opinion
there are two likely causes for this T/P light coming on. First is the
possibility that the overheat sensor (in the right head) is bad. I'd suggest replacing
it just because its cheap and easy to do. But the most likely cause is stuff
and junk plugging up the cooling fins in the heads, and maybe the oil cooler
too. So I'd suggest you pull the top shroud and see if the openings in cooling
fins are open. Are you sure that the damper doors are opening all the way?