<VV> TEMP/PRESS Light Coming On

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:45:33 -0400

Hey Tom, Recently Ted Fahrenthold, of Ted's Auto body in Tucker GA, installed
in his 65 110/pg a NAPA gold oil filter which blew apart where the bolt
screws into the
filter with such force that the filter "can" was affected as well as the gasket
area mentioned. There was oil everywhere and obviously if he had been
at speed the engine may have seized or been severly damaged before he
knew what happened. This NAPA filter  was replaced with an AC PF4 and
everything returned to normal. Ted speculated that the filter paper in the
NAPA clogged enough to create enough pressure to blow it off the filter
retainer. If Tom's oil filter is partially clogged this could cause the oil
level
to be high on the dipstick and also cause overheating of the oil on a long
uphill climb. When everything cools down and the oil seeps back into the
filter  the temp light would be off and the oil level normal. Why not try a
non-
NAPA oil filter and see if the symptoms disappear ?

Chuck Armer
/////////////////////////////////////////

At 10:23 PM 6/11/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Tom,
>Please see below for my thoughts.
>Regards,
>Bob Helt
>

>In a message dated 6/11/04 6:28:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>63vair4door@email.com writes:
>
> > My daughter's been driving the '63 Sedan (102/PG) and she's been telling
> > me that after a long uphill climb on the Interstate (65-70 MPH) the T/P
> > light comes on. She's pulled over and turned the engine off to check the
> > oil level. It's been above the add mark, so she gets back in and turns
> > the engine on. The light goes off and stays off. The outside temp has not
> > been the same the handful of times that this has happened, but it's
> > always happened after a 10+ mile run on the interstate. I'm running 10W30
> > oil with a new NAPA filter. Is the oil too light?
>
>***Chances are that there is no problem with your oil or the oil pressure. if
>this was a problem, the light would come on at a hot idle. Especially after
>that occurance on the highway.
>

>Also, the dip stick is > usually up a few inches after a run, so I'm thinking
> > that the PCV needs replacement and those lines to the crankcase should be
> > cleaned out. Could
> > this cause the light to come on?
>

>***No not at all. You may have a slight blowby problem, but I really doubt
>that it has anything to do with the dash light coming on.
>
>It's been a while since I adjusted the > point gap. Could a change in the
> > dwell cause an overheating condition?
>
>***Well yes, point wear will affect the timing, but again this is unlikely to
>be the problem. Check the timing just to be sure.
>

> > Anything else to check?
>
>***It definitely sounds like a momentary overheat condition. In my opinion
>there are two likely causes for this T/P light coming on. First is the
>possibility that the overheat sensor (in the right head) is bad. I'd
>suggest replacing
>it just because its cheap and easy to do. But the most likely cause is stuff
>and junk plugging up the cooling fins in the heads, and maybe the oil cooler
>too. So I'd suggest you pull the top shroud and see if the openings in
>cooling
>fins are open. Are you sure that the damper doors are opening all the way?
>

> > Thanks for the sage advice.
> >
> > Tom in Baltimore, MD

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER