<VV> VIR Report

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh@hotmail.com
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 04:17:20 +0000

Spent a few hours yesterday and most of the day today as official Bohunk
crew (along with one of my local pals) for Chuck Sadek and his #89 Yenko
Stinger at VIR Raceway here in Southside Virginia.  Don't have any official
numbers but here is a brief account:

Friday was practice runs.  I got there too late to see Chuck run, and he had
gone to help Donna Mae Mims retrieve her broken Corvette from a local
garage.  When he returned we spent time with Donna Mae and her friend Mary
Lou as they regaled us with tales from the old days.  #89 had suffered a
broken throttle shaft coupling earlier in the day, and had a broken throttle
cross shaft lever which he got welded up by a metal fabricator in the
paddock before dinner.

Saturday we got the carbs synched up (close enough!), checked tires and sent
Chuck out for his first practice run.  My pal Donald and I headed for turn 3
and saw Chuck and the other cars come through.  Then we saw the other cars
come back around...but no #89!  Current problem: failed fuel pump.  We found
a pump and replaced it, worked on accelerator linkage problems preventing
full throttle plate opening, adjusted tire pressures and turned him loose
again for his qualifying run.
The qualifying laps were good.  I unofficially clocked one lap at 2:17.
Chuck started off in 14th position and fought his way up to 8th at one point
against some tough competition (early Vettes, MGB V-8's, Porshe 911s,
Trans-Am Camaros, etc).  Got past a Cobra and took a Pontiac GTO among
others.  The car looked good and he appeared to be in the groove from our
vantage point near turn 3.  The big dogs would catch up in the straights,
and Chuck would eat them in the curves.  Position depended on whether they
could re-pass on the straight so they could bog him down in the next turn.
He did us proud!

Sorry I didn't see any other Corvair guys there.  We got to have all the
fun!

The real races are tomorrow - wish him luck!

-- Doug Mackintosh
   Corsa member since 1996
   Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
   Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up  now 3 months FREE!