<VV> 62 Spyder engine assistance

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:04:58 -0400

Nothing to be afraid of with the valves. I LEARNED on Corvair valves -
alone. They're just hydraulic valves, and nothing you do can change the
TIMING of them once you've assembled the camshaft (gear) to the crankshaft
(gear). Here on VV, you'll learn about the "hot" and the "cold" ways of
setting the valves. Both methods are just fine - whichever one you pick,
you'll have about half of the Corvair community against you. I think your
Shop Manual describes both methods.
     Welcome!

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Gallagher, Kevin
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 1:04 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 62 Spyder engine assistance

I am a new owner of a 62 Spyder coupe in fair condition (and new to Virtual
Vairs).  The engine was "partially restored, needs assembled".  I have been
progressing well through the assembly and am basically left with "lashing"
the
valves and restoring the turbo/carb.  I have followed some literature
(Corvair
Repair and Maintenance Manual, GM service bulletin on 'new' corvair
turbocharger) but am feeling uneasy with the valves.  Since timing is
critical, I want to get this right.  I am looking for recommendations on
guidance or, better yet, an experienced enthusiast in the Columbus, Ohio
area
willing to lend a few hours of assistance.  Any input is appreciated.

Kevin.Gallagher@p-s-m.com