<VV> Conversion to EFI: Is it really cost effective?

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:16:44 -0400

On Jun 15, 2004, at 10:15 PM, Blaine Sanders wrote:

> I am beginning to collect parts to do a fuel injection conversion...
> Before
> I get too excited about this project & invest in the big $ items, I
> would
> like to hear some first-hand accounts on fuel economy.  If there is
> anyone
> on the list who is running EFI on their Corvairs, please share with us
> your
> average MPG stats.  With the outrageous gas prices lately, it's
> starting to
> make more sense to do this conversion... But it depends entirely on
> what the
> expected MPG increase would be.

*SNIP*

As others have pointed out, I think you're working under some false
assumptions.

Compared to a four-carb 140, I think a properly set up fuel injection
system will be:

Smoother

A little more powerful

High-tech looking

Get a little better mileage

Give you lots to talk about at Corvair gatherings

I think your false assumptions are:

$1,000??? I thought these were closer to $3,500 to do.

I don't think gas will stay at $2.25.

If you're trying to justify it based on saving money, you're dreaming.

Plus, I think it will be a lot of work to install it and get it set up
properly.

Bruce