<VV> Harbor Freight/Central Pneumatic

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:29:04 -0400

I am, of course, disappointed with the "legs" of my Sears Craftsman 6hp
8.6SCFM@40psi 30-gallon compressor, BUT:

1. It's on wheels (the biggest, I believe, you can get with this)
2. Using 110V, it can be plugged in anywhere EXCEPT at the end of a long
extension cord
3. It's oil-free (belt-free, too). I understand this means it's noisier.

     It runs air tools very well, but can't keep up with sandblasting. I'm
glad I'm not trying to make a living with it. By buying a name brand, I got:

1. Higher price, no doubt.
2. Honest (or more-meaningful) performance specs
3. More durability (maybe)
4. Dependable parts support (not needed in first two years, so far)

     Strictly hobbyist grade. Overkill for filling tires, underkill for lots
of other things. It actually was NOT expensive.
     Let's hear it for CHOICES!

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Roger Gault
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:50 PM
To: Corvair List
Subject: Re: <VV> Harbor Freight/Central Pneumatic

Check out the HF specs VERY closely.  When I went over there to look at a
similarly rated compressor I found that the 11.1 CFM @ 40 PSI was "Peak
CFM", whatever the @#%% that is.  It wasn't clear what the real rating was.
But, then, I knew it was too good to be true.  About the best you can expect
from a 115VAC compressor is around 8 CFM @ 40 PSI.

My advice on compressors is to buy the biggest, "most industrial" compressor
you can possibly afford.  Stay away from the cheap brands, there is an
amazing amount of c@#$ out there.  The reason I haven't replaced my dead POS
Sears "5 HP" unit is that I haven't had the guts to tell my wife I'm going
to spend $750 or so on a compressor and I haven't gotten around to wiring my
garage for 220, but that's the direction I'll be going.

Roger