<VV> quick shifter

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:59:53 -0400

>If anyone has successfully installed the quick shifter either from
>Clark's or Lon Wall, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I did a complete shifter rebuild about a decade ago (full length copper tubing, roll pin, careful closing
of the shifter connect hole, etc..) , adding Clark's quick shift to a Corsa shift. It did take a LOT of
adjusting.

The results were astounding... a tight, quick, positive shift with good "feel"... as tight as some of my
toploaders.

The downside? No matter how carefully I adjusted it, reverse was always hard to get. As my rear
mount failed... depending on the angle of the car, sometimes reverse was impossible to get... to the
point my wife wouldn't drive the car.

My wife has a low mileage original '67 vert with a 4sp. While the shift is not as quick as the modified
Corsa, it also has a high degree of positive feel, leading me to believe that a careful refurb/rebuild of
the shifter assembly along with a good adjustment is really all that you need for an improved shift.
Overall, this is a much more enjoyable shifter to use.

You know, we complain about the Corvair shifter ... but has anyone driven a (real) VW, rear-engine
FIAT, Porsche, Tatra, Lotus, or even a mid-engine Ferrari lately? We have it pretty good...

Next time I have my pan off, I've removing the quick shifter kit... gotta replace that sagging rear
mount as well...

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD