<VV> Re: Fuel economy/costs, air compressors

Lluke2136@aol.com Lluke2136@aol.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:40:42 EDT

Thomas (great name btw) - the cheap gas here in the US is important to us. We
don't have to drive a lot, we choose to. Having that freedom means I can live
35 miles from work and  afford to commute. I don't have to live near state
(ie tax payer) subsidized mass transportation. And because we have great
gasoline tax supported roads, I can get travel that 35 miles in less than 30 minutes
and stay under the speed limit. Should I ever take advantage of the limited
interest in speed enforcement on our 6 lane freeways, I could make that trip in
20 minute without attracting attention or compromising safety.

I bought my Campbell compressor at WalMart because it was a lot cheaper than
the building product stores. I think I got it on sale for $200. It's 5hp/125
psi and runs my 1/2" impact wrench and other tools fine. It gets a little
breathless when I use the disk grinder, but I usually have to stop by then anyway.
I took a close look at the HF Chicago compressors and the quality difference
is noticeable. They're not made in Chicago, IL. I check for used compressors in
Bargain Trader and the local papers. The problem is they last so long they're
not very cheap. My best compressor was a 4-cylinder, 115V deal. The
compressor was about the size of a Honda CB1000 engine and sounded like one when it was
running.

Bob Thomas
Guthrie, OK
68Monza140